Best Fish Cake Recipe
One of the simplest and most delicious baking recipes we’ve found. Works with just about any fish, particularly bigger white-fleshed fish like walleyes, pike, and bass. A superb way to prepare striped bass. Good with big trout, too.
To serve six to eight . . .
2 pounds fillets, all bones removed
1 c. onion, finely chopped
2 c. sour cream (the real stuff, not reduced fat)
1 c. mayonnaise (the real stuff)
2 to 4 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (optional)
1 to 2 c. dry white bread crumbs
1 tbsp. paprika
• Slice fillets so the portions are about two inches wide.
• Spray an ovenproof casserole pan with cooking spray.
• Roll the fish in the bread crumbs and arrange the fish by portion one layer thick in the pan. Overlap any portion of fillet with the thin portions of another fillet. Or double over the thin portion of fillet onto itself. Thin portions of tail fillet can be layered by two. Leave a bit of room between portions.
• Mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, chopped onion, and chopped pepper. Spread the mixture over the fish, filling in the spaces between the portions.
• Sprinkle with bread crumbs and paprika. Bake for approximately 25 minutes in an oven preheated to 425ºF.
This recipes is even better reheated the following day. Recipe preparation can take place well ahead of time, then stored in the refrigerator to be popped into the oven just before dinner. n
*This is an adaptation of a recipe called Peppered Halibut Supreme that, we believe, first appeared in Chili Pepper magazine. Food preparation is by In-Fisherman’s Patty Harrison, photography by Chuck Nelson, Nelson Graphic Design.