Catfish & Potato Stew with Herbed Biscuits Recipe
June 20, 2018
While it might take some time, this Catfish & Potato Stew with Herbed Biscuits Recipe is easy for anyone to master
*Substitute any nice white-fleshed fish such as walleye, pike or bass to make this recipe.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Catfish Stew Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 strips bacon, cut small
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- Dash of Tabasco
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound walleye fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
Herb Biscuit Ingredients:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon mixed fresh herbs, chopped (parsley, chives, dill)
- 2 cups heavy cream
1. To prepare the stew, place the butter and bacon in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the bacon starts to brown.
2. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme and potatoes and cook covered, stirring often for about 10 minutes.
3. Add the flour and cook 2 to 3 more minutes. Add the chicken stock, milk, cream, wine, Tabasco, salt and pepper.
4. Cook the stew uncovered, stirring often for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
5. Toss in the walleye with the lemon and parsley and gently stir into the stew. Cook another 10 to 12 minutes, stirring gently until the walleye is tender.
6. To make the biscuits, start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
7. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, herbs and sugar.
8. Using a mixer on low (or mix by hand), slowly add the cream and mix only until just combined.
9. Drop dough by tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes (depending on biscuit size) or until golden and tender.
10. Serve this Catfish & Potato Stew recipe in big bowls with the herb biscuits.