Chili-Dusted Catfish Recipe
This Chili-Dusted Catfish Recipe is best served over a plate of homemade rice
Rave reviews are a cinch with this easy recipe from Chef Lucia Watson, who notes that a dollop of sour cream sprinkled with chili or paprika, plus a little parsley goes along well with this combination of flavors.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 2 catfish fillets
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ cup buttermilk (or whole milk)
- 1 egg
- Pinch of sugar
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus extra
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup minced scallions
- To prepare the catfish fillets, preheat an oven to 400 degrees.
- While the oven is preheating, lightly grease a cookie sheet and mix together all of the spices.
- In a shallow bowl, beat together the buttermilk, eggs and sugar. One at a time, dip each fillet in the spice mixture, then the buttermilk mixture, and then the bread crumbs. Place each fillet on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Place the fillets in the oven and bake until cooked through, about 12 to 14 minutes.
- To prepare the rice, heat the butter until melted in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the garlic, cumin, oregano and rice. Cook, stirring about 3 minutes.
- Add the stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook covered for about 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Turn the heat off and allow rice to sit, covered, for about 5 minutes. Stir in the additional butter and scallions and fluff with a fork. Serve catfish fillets with rice and enjoy.