Pistachio-Crusted Walleye Recipe
This recipe puts a twist on a traditional breadcrumb crust using pistachios!
Even after cooking thousands of fillets at our restaurant during the summer, I look forward to cooking this walleye recipe at home when I get a chance; it's that distinctive.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 20 minutes
Pistachio-Crusted Walleye Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ cups bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly-ground pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 (6-ounce) walleye fillets
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons oil
Tartar Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup puréed canned artichokes
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Combine pistachios, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. Place on a sheet of wax paper. Pour flour on another sheet of wax paper.
- In bowl, whisk together eggs and milk.
- Dry walleye fillets. Dredge in flour, dip in egg mixture, and coat with pistachio and bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter with 2 tablespoons oil. Add 2 fillets and sauté over medium heat, until golden brown on both sides – about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter and repeat with the other 2 fillets.
- To make the artichoke tartar sauce, combine the artichokes, onion, mayonnaise and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Top walleye fillets with tartar sauce and enjoy!