Walleye Baked with Sweet Peppers & Onions Recipe
July 19, 2017
This walleye recipe is a colorful and delicious way to serve your most recent catch
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crumbled dry oregano
- 4 leaves fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 4 (6- to 8-ounce) walleye fillets
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and oil a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sautÃ© the onions in oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
2. Add peppers, garlic, salt, pepper and herbs, cooking uncovered until the peppers are nearly tender.
3. Place the fillets in the prepared dish, spoon the mixture over the fish, and pour in the vermouth and tomato sauce.
4. Cover the fish with buttered wax paper and bring to a simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Then place the fish in the oven for 6 minutes.
5. Push the pepper mixture aside and bake the fillets 3 more minutes.
6. Transfer fish and vegetables to a serving platter and keep them warm. Drain the cooking juice into a small saucepan and cook to reduce by half. Spoon the sauce over the fish before serving.