September Smoked Trout Salad
by Chef J.P. Samuelson
No need to close out summer too soon. This recipe makes a fine first course or a great light lunch.
Two 12-ounce smoked trout (deboned)
1 c. crème fraîche (recipe follows)
1/2 c. roughly chopped herbs (dill, parsley, and tarragon)
1/2-pound baby mixed greens
1 lemon (quartered)
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
• Remove skin from the smoked trout, then place in a small bowl and gently fold in the horseradish-crème fraîche, being careful not to break up the trout too much.
• After the trout is evenly coated, add the mixed herbs and season to taste with salt and pepper. Then add a squeeze of lemon and make sure everything is evenly mixed.
• Toss the baby mixed greens with salt, pepper, a squeeze of lemon, and the extra virgin olive oil.
• For presentation: On each of four plates, place equal amounts of greens in the center of the plate and then the smoked trout. Serve immediately with a lemon quarter and, perhaps, sliced scallions.
Horseradish-Crème Fraîche . . .
1 c. heavy cream
2 tbsp. buttermilk
2 tsp. freshly grated horseradish
• Combine the cream and buttermilk in a clean, warm glass jar. Cover securely and set the container in a warm place (75°), allowing it
to thicken for 6 to 8 hours. Then refrigerate.
• When chilled, add horseradish and mix thoroughly.
Smoked Trout Salad Fish Recipe