Among hard lures, truly new ideas are hard to come by. Many new items represent tweaks on proven systems or even throw-back styles from the 1940s. We are always impressed with the innovative new hardbaits that get introduced every season. Here's a quick look at some of the more notable new lures that you may want to find a spot for in our tackle box.
DUO Popper 64
- DUO's Realis line continues to grow, and fans of surface fishing must check the new Popper 64, with design elements that make it unique in this large genre. On top, it sits at a nearly a 90-degree angle, to give fish plenty to grab. Its mouth is angled and widened for water displacement and its keeled tail helps to walk side-to-side.
Freedom Lures Live Action Spinner Bait
- Using their 'Tamburro Twist ' removeable hook design, Freedom Lures releases the Live Action Spinner Bait. Anglers can switch hooks to extend the shaft or to accommodate various trailers, while this attachment allows the hook to rotate for perfect running and to keep fish pinned.
- Not to be outdone, the Binsky is a wide-mouth popper that sports a spinner on the belly and a rear propeller, backed by a feather treble. Lots to look at and feel in this one.
- Editors' picks — A retro bait, and a beauty is Jackall's 3/4-ounce Pompadour, with wide-flapping arms that recall Heddon's Crazy Crawler, but with a tail prop for more splash.
- Building on the acclaim of last year's BaitBall series, LiveTarget brings the Yearling to market, a cluster of tiny fish within a clear body to present the illusion of a little school.
- Yuki Ito, lure designer and CEO of Megabass, reveals another winged warrior, the Derby-X, a wood bait with a tapered snout and hinged appendages that cause it to march back and forth on the surface.
O.S.P. Bent Minnow
- Japanese pro and lure designer, Toshi Namiki, enters the market with his O.S.P. (Osprey Spiritual Performer) brand. While several cranks and jerkbaits show fine detail, the Bent Minnow's body shape gives it a unique darting action.
Rapala's BX Waking Minnow
- Rapala's BX Waking Minnow offers amazing surface action of a more subtle sort, a wide-wobbling sashay that resembles a bluegill or shad in a stressed and vulnerable condition. It's balsa, but weighs 3/4 ounce for long casts.
- The Bluegill is a fine addition to Rebel's storied lineup, a 23„8-inch squarebill that runs in the 3-foot range, shaped and colored like the real thing.
SPRO BBZ Rat
- Best of Show — Trophy bass specialist and lure designer Bill Siemantel did his homework on the BBZ Rat, a big topwater that snakes along the surface, complete with a replaceable, soft but durable ratlike tail. It promises to be a killer for jumbo bass, but also pike and muskies, as well as marine species, $29.99.
Storm's Arashi Wake Crank
- Storm's Arashi Wake Crank also is a surface scratcher with circuit-board lip and self-tuning line tie for perfect running. It's armed with outsize hooks, thanks to rotated hook hangers.
Yo-Zuri 3D Internal Prism
- Yo-Zuri has a new patented process of creating a 3D Internal Prism and Wave-Motion Vibration Ribs that add vibration. Jerkbaits, cranks, rattlebaits, topwaters, and more offer this pattern.