A modification of a redfish recipe with Cajun succotash, this one won’t take all day in the kitchen, but is sure to raise eyebrows at the table. Goes well with white rice, which is a nice complement to the spicy catfish.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 4 catfish fillets
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ cup Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
Maque Choux Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 cups corn kernels
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Salt and Tabasco sauce to taste
- To make the maque choux, heat butter in a sauté pan over medium-high heat, then add the onion. Sauté the onion for 1 minute, then add the green pepper.
- Sprinkle with salt and sauté 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Add corn kernels and cook another 10 minutes. Turn off heat and cover while preparing fish.
- To prepare the catfish fillets, melt the butter and pour the Cajun spices into a shallow dish. Dip fish fillets in melted butter, then dredge in Cajun spices.
- Cook fillets 2-3 minutes per side in a hot cast-iron frying pan. When you flip the fillets, add tomatoes and Tabasco to the maque choux.
- After the fillets are done, serve with the maque choux and enjoy.