Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced on a bias 3/4 inch thick
- 1 pound walleye, cut into one-inch cubes
- Sauté the diced bacon and reserve.
- Heat the bacon fat until it just begins to smoke, then add an equal amount of flour, whisking until the mixture (roux) turns the color of a brown paper bag. Add the onion, celery, green pepper, red pepper, garlic, white pepper, thyme, oregano, cayenne, reserved bacon, and chicken broth. Cook gently for 15 minutes.
- Add the smoked sausage and fish. Simmer gently for about seven minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve walleye gumbo garnished with cooked white rice.