November 12, 2014
Searching for great gifts for the angler in your life? The In-Fisherman editors get to see hundreds of great new fishing products that would make great gifts, but have narrowed the search for you, here, with our 2014 Gift Guide.
Aqua-Vu's Micro AV5c
- Aqua-Vu's Micro AV5c is a convenient tool to spy on your quarry in open water and below the ice, a thin, 5-inch package with color LCD screen and Micro cam on 100-foot cable. And their Trolling Motor Cam attaches to the electric's shaft so can be pointed beneath docks and other cover to reveal hidden fish, $599.
Beaver Dam Bucket Station
- Hard and Soft Fishing brought another nifty item for the 'bucket brigade, ' the Beaver Dam Bucket Station, a 6-gallon bucket with six of the company's exclusive Beaver Grips on the side. These Grips secure rods or tip-ups on the outside, leaving the interior for bait or tackle, $49.99.
Costa Del Mar's Hamlin
- The Hamlin is one of Costa del Mar's new models with the company's patented 580 mirror lenses, now available in super-light, impact-resistant polycarbonate, $179.
Garmin Downvu and Sidevu
- Garmin has incorporated CHIRP technology (short for Compressed High-Intensity Radiated Pulse) into their DownVu and SideVu scanning sonars to provide images of amazing clarity. This system emits a sweep of various sonar beam frequencies that are instantly interpreted for crisp screen images, 299.99 to $3,999.
- Humminbird ONIX has four new models in two sizes htat feature touch-screen menus, as well as AutoChart and SmartStrike technology, which allow users to create their own high-definition maps, without connecting to a PC, server, or cloud. The cross Touch feature allows users to navigate menus with a tap, swipe, or pinch, [imo-slideshow gallery=226],999.99 to $3,199.99.
Madrone Headwear's Traverse
- Madrone Headwear has turned heads with their excellent designs for fishing hats of all sorts. In addition to sun protection, the Flo-Thru venting system keeps you cool while the Protect Shield repels water. A floating Versa-Tec brim folds for storage and there's a special sleeve for sunglasses. New for 2015 is the Traverse with removable side shields.
Pelagic Fishing's 4TEK Fish Finder Boardshort
- The Pelagic Fishing 4TEK Fish Finder Boardshort look like a winner for wet wading or if you want to make a fishing statement. The Quik-Dry fabric with 4-way stretch for comfort is imprinted with a sonar scene with bottom readings and fish, and has front and back zipper pockets, $64.
The Bucket Grip
- The Bucket Grip is a simple attachment that fits on the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket to prevent it from tipping, slipping, or dripping. UV-resistant rubber won't mar surfaces, $9.99.
Wiley X Arrow
- Wiley X adds two new versions of Arrow, with matte frames in black or white with lenses polarized with the company's Filter 8 technology. Like all Wiley X models, they meet ANSI High Velocity High Mass Impact Safety standards, $139.
Abu Garcia's Fantasista Regista
- Abu Garcia adds a new series, the Fantasista Regista, with unique Tetra axial carbon construction, which increases strength and sensitivity while reducing weight (nine models range from 3.7 to 5 ounces). It has a Fuji skeletal reel seat and Fuji Titanium Alconite K guides, $499.
Duckett Fishing's Micro Magic Pro
- Duckett Fishing's Micro Magic Pro feature a series of 21 rods that have top-quality micro guides, Fuji reel seats, and specially balanced Sensi-Touch blanks. Spinning models feature the MicroWave stripping guide designed by Doug Hannon for smooth line flow, $159 to $169.
G. Loomis' Shortstix Series
- The Shortstix series is designed to make 80-foot-plus casts with less effort than traditional 9-foot rods. These 7½-footers represent a breakthrough concept from designer Steve Rajeff. Four models are available, $400 to $425.
Quantum Fishing's Smoke PT
- Quantum's Smoke PT offers HSX70 high-strain million-modulus graphite blanks with Fuji ACS reel seats and new steel guide frames that eliminate the ceramic insert. A neat feature is a dial in the handle that indicates the line test you're using, $159.
13 Fishing Concept KP
- 13 Fishing continues to innovate, bringing on the Concept KP Reel. It's made of FeatherWeight Magnesium and Airfoil Carbon construction to scale at 5.14 ounces. A Bulldog Carbon Drag and Japanese Dead Stop anti-reverse give it power, $480.
Abu Garcia Revo Beast
- Abu Garcia's Revo Beast is sized for bass at 9.35 ounces, but has 22 pounds of max drag to withstand the surges of stripers and muskies, $349.99.
Lew's BB2 Pro Speed Spool
- Lynn Reeves's revitalization of Lew's continues to impress, offering several fine new models in mid-range prices, but packed with top features. Great gifts from Lew's would be the Tournament MB Speed Spool, Tournament Light Speed Spool, and BB2 Pro Speed Spool, $179.99 to$209.99.
Penn Battle II
- The Penn Battle II has keyed carbon fiber washers in the HT-100 drag system that boost max drag 10 to 15 percent. Corrosion resistance also is improved with five sealed bearings and an anti-reverse bearing. Eight models from the 1000 to 8000 size, $99.95 to $129.95.
- Few anglers don't have a favorite Shimano Curado, as the brand goes back more than two decades. They're retooled for 2015, with choice of three gear ratios in five models, with SVS Infinity braking system, X-Ship frame, and Stabile Spool Design that reduces spool vibration, $179 to $250.
- When your adventures take you beyond cell service, SPOT Gen3 lets family and friends know you're status with the push of a button. The devise also enables you to send S.O.S. messages to emergency responders and predefined text/email from virtually anywhere on the planet. You can also choose the rate you want to track your adventure: 2 ½, 5, 10, 30 or 60 minutes, which saves on battery life, $149.95.
- Ever get that sense of panic when your phone battery is on its last leg? Recharge it from anywhere with the FireCel, a 3-in-1 multi-purpose tool that features a power supply for charging smartphones and personal electronics, dual temperature hand warmer, and a multi-mode flashlight. The 5200 mAh rechargeable lithium ion battery can deliver a full charge to most smartphones and MP3 players. The two-temperature hand warmer, with 110- and 130-degree settings, provides continuous heat for up to three hours. An integrated flashlight features both red and white LEDs and five modes, including SOS for unexpected emergencies, $49.95.