Since 2011, we have written and published 126,700 words about how, when, and where Midwest finesse anglers have caught largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, and spotted bass in Augusts of the past in Arkansas, Canada, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
We often remarked that the dog days of August are not fruitless times to be afloat in chase of largemouth bass and smallmouth bass in northeastern Kansas. In fact, we have noted that August can often be one of our most fruitful months â€“ especially for smallmouth bass at a few of our flatland reservoirs. Nevertheless, there have been some trying and bewildering August outings â€“ especially in 2013, and since 2016, the smallmouth bass fishing in northeastern Kansas has gradually become perplexing in every month of the year.
The purpose of this column is to give anglers a quick way to access what has transpired in the Midwest finesse world in years past during the month of August in various parts of North America. In essence, it is a bibliography.
Below are the Internet links to those 126,700 words, as well as some photographs of Midwest finesse anglers and the black bass that they caught in Augusts of the past.
(1) The August of 2012 guide contains 17 logs and 10,673 words. Here is the link to it: https://www.in-fisherman.com/midwest-finesse/an-addendum-to-the-month-by-month-guide-to-midwest-finesse-august/#ixzz3gAPh6bmb.
(2) The guide to August of 2013 contains 21 logs and 11,952 words. Here is the link to it: https://www.in-fisherman.com/midwest-finesse/midwest-finesse-fishing-august-2013/.
(3) The guide to August of 2014 contains 32 logs and 21,969 words. Here is the link to that guide: https://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/midwest-finesse-fishing-august-2014/.
(4) The guide to August of 2015 contains 24 logs and 19,871 words. Here is the link to it: https://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/midwest-finesse-fishing-august-2015/.
(5) The monthly guide to August of 2016 contains 32 logs and 33,395 words. It features the Midwest finesse record that Steve Reideler of Denton, Texas, and his cohorts set in north-central Texas by catching 695 black bass in 47 hours of fishing and 12 outings. Reideler plies some of the most difficult black-bass waterways in North America, and his 12 logs are chockfull of rich details about how they accomplished this feat. Here is the link to this guide: https://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/midwest-finesse-fishing-august-2016/.
(6) Our guide to August of 2017 contains 27 logs and 25,823 words. Here is the link to it: https://www.in-fisherman.com/midwest-finesse/midwest-finesse-fishing-august-2017.
(7) Here is the link to "A Month-by-Month Guide to Midwest Finesse for Bass:" https://www.in-fisherman.com/midwest-finesse/a-month-by-month-guide-to-midwest-finesse-for-bass/. It features 436 words about how, when, and where we caught largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, and spotted bass in August in the years before 2012.
(8) The "Augusts of the Past" column published in 2015 contained 1,652 words and a short feature on the effectiveness of a slightly shortened Z-Man Fishing Products' Finesse WormZ affixed to either a 1/32- or 1/16-ounce Gopher Tackle's Mushroom Head jig during the 31 days of August. Here is the link to that column: https://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/augusts-of-the-past/.
(9) The "Augusts of the Pasts" column for 2016 contained 858 words and nine photographs. Here is the link to it: https://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/augusts-of-the-past-2/.
(10) Our "Augusts of the Past" column for 2017 contained 1,255 words and nine photographs. Here is the link to it: https://www.in-fisherman.com/midwest-finesse/augusts-of-the-pasts/.
(11) Here is a link to a column that describes some of our late July and early August outings in Minnesota: https://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/vacationing-northwoods-minnesota-2014/.
Photographs from Augusts of the pasts