Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Catfish Stew Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 strips bacon, cut small
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- Dash of Tabasco
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound catfish fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
Herb Biscuit Ingredients:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon mixed fresh herbs, chopped (parsley, chives, dill)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- To prepare the stew, place the butter and bacon in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the bacon starts to brown.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme and potatoes and cook covered, stirring often for about 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook 2 to 3 more minutes. Add the chicken stock, milk, cream, wine, Tabasco, salt and pepper.
- Cook the stew uncovered, stirring often for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Toss in the catfish with the lemon and parsley and gently stir into the stew. Cook another 10 to 12 minutes, stirring gently until the catfish is tender.
- To make the biscuits, start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, herbs and sugar.
- Using a mixer on low (or mix by hand), slowly add the cream and mix only until just combined.
- Drop dough by tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes (depending on biscuit size) or until golden and tender.
- Serve this Catfish & Potato Stew recipe in big bowls with the herb biscuits.