Since 2012, we have published 146,634 words that describe how, when, and where Midwest finesse anglers have caught largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, and spotted bass during the month of May.
They feature the insights and tactics of Rick Allen of Dallas; Terry Bivins of Lebo, Kansas; Burton Bosley of Sutton, West Virginia; Norman Brown of Lewisville, Texas; Brent Chapman of Lake Quivira, Kansas; Terry Claudell of Overland Park, Kansas; Gary Craig of San Jose, California; Ace Croucher of Quenemo, Kansas; Steve Desch of Topeka, Kansas; Paul Finn of Olathe, Kansas; Shaun Finn of Olathe, Kansas; Brent Frazee of Parkville, Missouri; Lita Frazier of Moses Lake, Washington; Bret Freudenthal of Kansas City, Missouri; Bob Gum of Kansas City, Kansas; David Harrison of Lawrence, Kansas; Bob Hardy of St. Paul, Minnesota; Rick Hebenstreit of Shawnee, Kansas; Clyde Holscher of Topeka, Kansas; Gary Johnson of Claremont, California; Dwight Keefer of Phoenix, Arizona; Pat Kehde of Lawrence, Kansas; Ned Kehde of Lawrence, Kansas; Casey Kidder of Topeka, Kansas; Pok-Chi Lau of Lawrence, Kansas; Ralph Manns of Rowlett, Texas; Greg Monahan of Lee’s Summit, Missouri; Dave Mull of Paw Paw, Michigan; Travis Myers of Paw Paw, West Virginia; George Nochta of Santee, California; Nathan Parker of Tulsa, Oklahoma; Preston Parks of Pittsboro, North Carolina; Travis Perret of Overland Park, Kansas; Dave Petro of Lecompton, Kansas; Mike Poe of Siler City, North Carolina; John Redding of Lawrence, Kansas; Drew Reese of Rantoul, Kansas; John Reese of Lawrence, Kansas; Steve Reideler of Denton, Texas; Harold Rice of Ramona, California; Chris Rohr of Overland Park, Kansas; Marc Sherrell of Kansas City, Missouri; Joe Showengerdt of Kansas City, Kansas; Walt Tegtmeier of Leawood, Kansas; John Thomas of Denton, Texas; Ethan Turner of Springfield, Missouri; Jay Vannorthwick of Junction City, Oregon; Larry Vannorthwick of Havensville, Kansas; Brian Waldman of Indianapolis, Indiana; Dave Weroha of Kansas City, Kansas; Amy Whitaker of Kansas City, Missouri; and Lyn Yarbrough of Leawood, Kansas.
As anglers read these many words about Mays of the past, they should be mindful that locations that black bass were caught and presentations used to catch them can be similar, but they can also be slightly dissimilar and even radically different.
Across the years, and even during the spawning season, we have come to the conclusion that it is impossible for us to know why we catch the black bass that we catch. The angling world, however, is littered and cluttered with black-bass anglers stating why they caught them. Therefore, we avoid uttering the speculations about why. Instead, our logs focus on how, when, and where we caught the black bass.
Anglers can read how, when, and where these 52 Midwest finesse anglers caught largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, and spotted bass in Mays of the past by examining the seven Midwest finesse columns below:
(1) https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/an-addendum-to-the-month-by-month-guide-to-midwest-finesse-may/154905. This is the May 2012 monthly guide. It contains 12,490 words.
(2) https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/a-month-by-month-fishing-guide-to-midwest-finesse-may-2013/155395. It contains 14,056 words.
(3) https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/midwest-finesse-fishing-may-2014/155664. It contains 22,461 words.
(4) https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/midwest-finesse-fishing-may-2015/154364. It contains 21,585 words.
(5) https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/midwest-finesse-fishing-may-2016/154496. It contains 20,369 words.
(6) https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/midwest-finesse-fishing-may-2017/154503. It contains 28,357 words.
(7) https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/midwest-finesse-fishing-may-2018/15335. It contains 25,876 words.
(8) https://www.in-fisherman.com/midwest-finesse/a-month-by-month-guide-to-midwest-finesse-for-bass/. In some ways, this is a historical analysis of Midwest finesse fishing that we wrote back in 2011. It focuses on each month of the year and it is entitled “A Month-by-Month Guide to Midwest Finesse Fishing.” It contains 316 words about fishing in May.
Photographs from Mays of the past: