On Oct. 7, we began our quest to publish gear guides about Riot Baits’ Baton, Probe, Relic, T3 Tattle Tail Swimbait, and Tantrum. This one focuses on the Probe, which is a 5 1/2-inch soft-plastic finesse worm.
Its entire anterior and posterior sections possess a cylindrical shape and a bilateral symmetry, which means that its dorsal and ventral areas and both of its sides are identical.
Its peristomium, which is the tip of the anterior section or its mouth, is flat rather than pointed as is the mouth of a real earthworm or nightcrawler. This flat area is three-sixteenths of an inch wide with a circumference of seven-eighths of an inch.
From the peristomium to the beginning of its clitellum or egg sack, its anterior section is 1 11/16 inches long. Its epidermis is adorned with 33 tiny segments. One inch from its peristomium, the anterior section is five-sixteenths of an inch wide with a circumference of about 1 1/8 inches. After that point, the widths and circumferences of the anterior and posterior sections becomes smaller, but then as the posterior sections begins to junction with its anus, they become significantly larger.
Its clitellum is thirteen-sixteenths of an inch long. The width of the clitellum at its junction with its anterior section is a quarter of an inch with a circumference of 1 1/16 inches. At the end of the clitellum, its width is three-sixteenths of an inch with a circumference of seven-eighths of an inch. The epidermis of the clitellum is smooth.
Its posterior section, which commences at the end of the clitellum, is 2 5/8 inches long. Its epidermis is encircled with 50 tiny segments. The circumference of the smallest part of its posterior section is five-sixteenths of an inch, and that small section lies 1 5/8 inches from the end of the clitellum.
Its anus is dome shaped, and the tip of the dome is donned with a tiny protrusion that is a half of an inch long and one-sixteenths of an inch wide with a circumference of about a quarter of an inch. At the base of the dome, it is five-sixteenths of an inch wide with a circumference of one inch. Its epidermis is smooth.
It is manufactured in the following colors: Black, Black Sapphire, Green Pumpkin, Green Pumpkin Neon, Money, Morning Dawn, Riot, Slayer, Smashing Pumpkin, and Watermelon Rind.
It is enhanced with salt, and it is buoyant.
A package of 10 costs $4.99.
Midwest finesse anglers will affix the Probe to a small mushroom-style jig with an exposed hook, and they will often shorten it by removing an inch of its peristomium and anterior section. And they will employ it by using all six of the Midwest finesse retrieves and slight variations of those retrieves.
(1) Here is the link to Riot Baits Fishing’s website: https://www.riotbaits.com/.
(2) For insights on how to execute the Midwest finesse retrieves with the Probe affixed to a small mushroom-style jig with an exposed hook, please read the Midwest Finesse column at this link: https://www.in-fisherman.com/midwest-finesse/six-midwest-finesse-retrieves/
(3) Here is a link to a Midwest Finesse interview with Matt Stark, who is a proprietor of Riot Baits: https://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/riot-fishing-interview-matt-stark/.
(4) Here is the link to our Feb. 17, 2015, gear guide about Riot Baits' Urami Worm: https://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/riot-baits-urami-worm/.
(5) Here is the link to our Nov. 15, 2018, gear guide about Riot Baits' Relic: https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/riot-baits-relic/328290.
(6) Here is the link to our Nov. 15, 2018, gear guide about Riot Baits' Tantrum: https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/Riot%20Baits'%20Tantrum/331092.