March 23, 2022
By Chef Lucia Watson
In Italy, frittatas, which are wonderfully easy to make, often are picnic food. They are a great midnight treat that can be eaten hot or at room temperature. They also reheat well. As a condiment, try a little sour cream mixed with a bit of horseradish.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 4 ounces smoked fish
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or tarragon, chopped
- 8 whole eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup cream cheese
- Dash Tabasco
- Lightly butter an 8-inch heavy frying pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the fish into bite-sized pieces. Toss with the lemon juice, salt and pepper, and fresh herbs. Set aside.
- Mix together the eggs, egg whites, Tabasco, and cream. Beat lightly.
- Pour 1/2 the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the fish over the mixture, then pour the remaining mixture into pan. It should be just below the rim of the pan. Sprinkle with the parsley and blob on the cream cheese.
- Bake about 40 minutes. The top should be set solid when the pan is lightly shaken. Slice inside with a knife if you aren't sure.
- Cool slightly, then unmold onto a board and cut into wedges.