April 01, 2014
By In-Fisherman Online Staff
Not long ago fishing gear for women was either men's gear splashed with a bit of pink, or haphazardly downsized without proper thought to factors like fit and function. But as the ranks of female anglers have grown, more manufacturers have taken notice. As a result, we've seen a steady stream of improved gear worthy of serious consideration. From rod-and-reel combos to top-shelf fishing apparel, great strides have been made in fishing gear for women anglers.
It's about time, too. This rising segment of the fishing population deserves items that engender better catches and more fun on the water every bit as much as their male counterparts. In honor of this trend, we offer a look at top products from across the spectrum of categories. Whether you're shopping for yourself or outfitting a significant other, consider it your personal guide to great fishing gear for women.
Cabela's Ladies Fishing Utility Bag
- Never wrangle an over-sized tackle box again. Cabela's designed this bag for packing light and organizing essential tackle. It carries up to six 3500 series utility boxes, has five pockets, a built-in tool retractor, and adjustable shoulder strap.
Columbia Ultimate Chill II
- Columbia blends comfort and style in countless garments, including the remarkable new Women's Ultimate Chill II fishing shirt. Outfitted with Omni-Freeze ZERO technology, which reacts with sweat to lower the temperature of the material, the performance button-up features Omni-Shade UPF 50 sun protection, roll-up cuffs with fasteners, sunglass cleaning patch, and protective collar.
Costa Blenny Sunglasses
- Not your mother's fishing glasses, these new shades pack trendy style with serious on-the-water performance. Blessed with a large fit, flexible spring hinges, and bold, round eye, they feature Costa's 580 100-percent polarized lens technology, which blocks yellow light to enhance color while eliminating glare. Lightweight and impact-resistant, they're sturdy enough for the rigors of life on the water.
Frogg Toggs All-Purpose Women's Rain Suit
- Stay comfortable and dry no matter the weather in this waterproof, windproof combo. Spun from Frogg Togg's classic non-woven, water-banning breathable fabric, this foul-weather suit offers an extended-length, full-zip and button front closure, comfy elastic cuffs, and shock-cord adjustments. As a bonus, the black cherry jacket and matching black pants are style-wise heads and shoulders above run-of-the-mill raingear and basic ponchos.
Patagonia Technical Sun Gloves
- Protect your hands from harmful solar radiation without applying slippery sunscreen that can wreak havoc on casting and line control. Crafted from quick-drying, 30-UPF polyester and spandex fabric, these form-fitting gloves feature reinforced synthetic suede palms and out-of-the-way seams.
Pflueger Lady Trion Combos
- Built with the bulletproof dependability and hard-fishing performance of Pflueger's Trion series, Lady Trion combos come in casting, spinning, and spincast options. The entire lineup is tailored to female anglers, thanks to ergonomic grips, custom actions and reel sizes, and a lightweight IM-6 graphite rod. Plus, the combos sport stylish looks, fueled by teal-colored reels and EVA foam handles that are complemented by a white rod blank. Also, a portion of all sales supports the American Breast Cancer Foundation.
Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 Ladies Lineup
- When Shakespeare retooled its legendary Ugly Stik family, the company didn't forget women anglers. The Ugly Stik GX2 Ladies series includes two casting rods, four spinning models, and a trio of combos. All rods feature a sweet blend of graphite and fiberglass that's strong yet sensitive, plus Ugly Tuff guides and blank-through-reel-seat designs.
Stohlquist Betsea Life Jacket
- Whether you're kayaking, canoeing, or piloting a larger vessel, the Betsea's Wrapture-shaped torso hugs you snugly for a close, low-profile yet comfortable fit. Plus, the cross-chest cinch harness positions flotation low on the torso, eliminating ride-up while boosting critical buoyancy. Other amenities include princess seams inside and out for a feminine fit; two large, zippered pockets; lined hand-warmer pockets; ventilated shoulder and lumbar pads; and extra-wide arm holes for maximum mobility.
- Billed as a versatile, amphibious sports sandal, the Omnium offers a comfortable fit and serious traction wherever your feet take you. The light, airy design provides the protection of a close-toed sneaker, with enough open space to allow fast water drainage. Crafted from quick-drying, water-resistant material, this is one fine fishing shoe.
Cabela's Made In The Shade Zip-Off Pants
- With a UPF rating of 50+ these pants raise the bar in sun protection. They're also breathable, lightweight, packable, wick away moisture, dry fast, and feature antimicrobial properties to banish odor-causing bacteria. Another nice touch — the legs zip off to convert pants into capris for warm-weather fishing adventures.